Friday, July 2, 2010

Always There

WooHoo! It's Friday, it's officially after work hours, AND it's a three day weekend! Can you tell I'm just a little excited? ;o)

I wanted to drop in and share a quick card that I made for the last Paper Crafts call. It didn't get picked up (nor did the other 9) so that means I can share them here with you. Yea! I've come to the conclusion that PC hates me. Just kidding, it's all good. I like being able to share my creations with you right away anyway, so here goes.

I paired the MME "Quite Contrary" patterned papers with some Kraft cardstock. Yes, I am still loving this stuff, I swear, I may just use every last bit and scrap of that paper! For the border above the paper panel I used the bee trail image from The Birds & The Bees. You can stamp it end over end to create a long border if you just overlap the last 3 or so dots. If you look closely you can see where where they overlap in the pic.

For the sentiment I used an old alphabet set I've had for ages, I don't have the packaging anymore and can't remember who makes it. I wouldn't recommend it anyway, as it is an acrylic stamp set and I had to rub it with an eraser & stamp it in Versamark before inking it to get it to stamp clearly. Definitely not photopolymer! but it is what I had on hand. Note to self: buy or design an alpha set. I finished the sentiment by writing "for always being there" on a piece of rustic cream cardstock.

For the flower embellie, I used one the crocheted flowers I made awhile ago and layered it on a piece of scalloped brown felt and topped it with a button.

I am so looking forward to this long weekend. I got Practicing Creativity's Barefoot Summer set in the mail today and can't wait to ink it up. Hopefully, I will get some time to craft between all of the 4th of July festivities. How about you? Any big plans?

Project Supplies

Always There

Stamps: The Birds & The Bees (Wplus9); Alphabet (unknown)
Ink: Dark Brown fluid chalk ink (Colorbox); Soft Suede Stampin' Write marker (Stampin' Up!)
Paper: Kraft cardstock (Stampin' Up!); Rustic Cream cardstock (Papertrey Ink); Quite Contrary patterned paper (My Mind's Eye)
Fibers: crochet thread (Royale); button (extra from clothing)
Tools: Scallop border punch (Stampin' Up!); Big Shot (Sizzix)

26 comments:

  1. Lovely card, Dawn, and sad to hear that it wasn't picked up. But we get to see it that much more quickly! Hmm, sounds like a divine plan for a Wplus9 alpha set as well in your quality of stamps! Great handmade flower and your handwriting is so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your card - can't imagine why it wouldn't be picked up. Love the flower. I just crocheted one today. Good idea about layering it on top of felt. We are at a lovely campground in central Illinois - nice, warm weather and clear skies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing card! Love the flower and paper and general layout!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fun, colorful card! Sorry it didn't get picked up, but I'm glad to see it here! Love the scallop on the bottom and that beautiful crocheted flower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific card and a GREAT flower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I "heart" this card! I hear ya on the submissions calls though - I've tried the last 3 times and haven't been picked up despite submitting cards that I thought were "the bomb"!! I love handmade flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I SERIOUSLY LOVE this card. What were they thinking?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. adorable card-i'd pick it up:) the little flower is sweet-wish i could crochet-(i blame it on being left hand:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your card is stunning.. as is everything you create! Sorry you didn't get picked up this time and it's certainly not because of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thought this card was adorable... Paper Crafts loss is our gain!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a SERIOUSLY terrific card, my friend! Clearly, it was WORTH the effort on those letters.... although, it may be time to put those out on a swap table.. Maybe it's time to MAKE some Dawn-style alphas... just sayin'.. Hee hee This card is pure delight! I ADORE the use of the "butterfly trail" or what ever you call those wonderful dots. I can't explain PC... but in the blogosphere, you are always a COVER GIRL! Yeeeee Haw!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, WE love yoU! Super cute card! Love your crochet flower! I have to learn to do that someday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They must have had their eyes closed when they clicked on this one. It's so stinkin' cute! And I love the handwritten touch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such beautiful elements in this card! I especially love, of course, the crocheted flower! I've GOT to try those one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this one Dawn, I think PC hates me too:)! I didn't get any picked for the last call either!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This card is SO beautiful, Dawn! It doesn't get much better in any magazine :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome card and sucks on the submission!! That's why I get unmotivated because I have no idea what they want. When I did get picked it was all coincidence. Although I do want to try for the Christmas Card's one. We'll see if I have time!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, I think your card is darling!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this card, I feel for you on the PC call. But I love that you are able to share here on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your card is AWESOME and it's their loss that they didn't pick you! It's really hard to tell what they want. Gal, don't give up! We definitely love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well I love it! I feel the same way about submitting sometimes! But you never really know what they are looking for, so you just gotta keep trying! I'm sure they will realize your talent soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your card is awesome...like the others, I can't image why it wasn't picked...Their loss, not yours! Love the craft paper, and that awesome crochet flower. Hope you had a great 4th of July! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This card is awesome! Just remember it's objective! We are happy you shared and I am sure the rest of us would like to see the others too! Again great work!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dawn.. loved this post. Love it. I am with you.. I share on my blog just cuz I wanna.. not with any plans on getting discovered or anything. I rarely submit, why??? Just cuz I feel they hv their faves and constantly pick the same ppl... just how I feel.
    xo hugs... love your stamps gf! hugs

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this card Dawn. I am always perplexed by what makes it into the mags and what doesn't. This one is a winner (as most of your cards are) and I'm glad we get to see it here on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  26. adorable card.... stumped as to why pc didn't pick it up!!

    ReplyDelete

Connect with us:

Follow Us on Pinterest